Pages

08 December, 2016

Gintama

...current obsession.

Well, at least it's most definitely worth it.

I do feel that every anime fan must watch Gintama at some point. Watching Gintama is the ultimate fanservice, and no greater pleasure than understanding the(hilarious) actual Japanese.

I disagree that there is no character development exactly in Gintama, especially in Gin-san. The openings and endings, when watched all together, make you really see how Gin-san has changed from the beginning of the series. In "Pray", he seems to be chased by actual demons, and is just beginning to wake from his nightmares. By contrast, a lot of the later openings hit hopeful notes as we start out, growing stronger and happier, for example, "Let's go out" begins with a bunch of pictures of him enjoying himself with everyone. Maybe it isn't the life-lesson-learning we're used to in our Hero's Quest-style anime, but it is definitely a change.

I haven't watched any serious amounts of the big 3 anime, about 50 episodes of One Piece, 15 of Naruto and about 100 of Bleach, but none of them has kept me hooked, with the pure rewatch value of Gintama. I daresay that after a few rewatches, I might actually get bored of Gintama too.

Somehow I doubt it though. As long as it keeps me in splits throughout an episode, and then pulls out all the stops to make me cry in the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment